Referee / Scorekeeper
Tehachapi Valley Recreation and Park District is currently accepting applications for part time, seasonal Referee / Scorekeeper.
- Salary Range: Minimum-$20.00 Per Game DOE
- Position: Referee / Scorekeeper
- Category: Part Time / Seasonal
- Reports To: Recreation Manager
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Under the direction of the Recreation Manager, the Referee officiates a variety of youth and adult sports.
Download Referee / Scorekeeper job description(80 KB)
Essential Job Functions
The following duties are an overview of the primary duties and responsibilities of the position and do not constitute an all-inclusive list.
- Officiate Games: Act as the primary authority during games, ensuring that all rules and regulations are enforced consistently and fairly.
- Maintain Game Control: Manage the pace of the game, control player and coach behavior, and make critical decisions in a composed and unbiased manner.
- Ensure Safety: Prioritize the safety of players by closely monitoring physical contact, enforcing safety protocols, and intervening in situations that could lead to injury.
- Rule Interpretation: Have a deep understanding of basketball rules and regulations, and be prepared to explain them to players, coaches, and parents when necessary.
- Conflict Resolution: Mediate disputes or conflicts that may arise during games, promoting good sportsmanship and positive interactions among participants.
- Communication: Maintain clear and effective communication with coaches, players, parents, and fellow referees before, during, and after games.
- Game Preparation: Arrive at game venues early to inspect the playing area, ensure equipment is in working order, and coordinate with other officials.
- Record-Keeping: Maintain accurate records of game scores, incidents, and any other relevant information required by the league or organization.
- Professionalism: Uphold a high standard of professionalism at all times, demonstrating respect for all participants and representing the organization with integrity.
- Previous experience as a basketball referee is preferred, but not required.
- Deep knowledge of basketball rules and regulations.
- Strong communication and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to remain composed under pressure.
- Patience and a positive attitude when dealing with young athletes, coaches, and parents.
- Availability to work evenings and weekends during the basketball season.
- Possess a positive attitude and be a self-starter.
- American Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED certified or willingness to obtain in three (3) months.
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand the English language at a level adequate to perform the job.
- Possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License with good driving record.
Physical Demands & Working Conditions
- Ability to lift 55 pounds.
- Perform work activities that include lifting, carrying, and moving objects; walking, sitting, stooping, kneeling, and climbing; reading and communicating with others in writing and orally.
- Work environments include:
- Indoor environment; and
- Outdoor environmental conditions
- Required to work nights, weekends, holidays, and multiple shifts when needed.
- Possess personal qualifications including emotional maturity, willingness to cooperate with various organizations, respect for children and adults from various cultures and backgrounds, flexibility, patience, good personal hygiene, and physical and mental health that do not interfere with responsibilities.
- Use of protective equipment per OSHA/CalOSHA regulations is required.
- Possible exposure to communicable diseases.
Minimum wage - $20.00 per hour DOE
Employment offer contingent on satisfactory SSCI Background check and DMV check.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit a TVRPD employment application(160 KB) and resume to Brenda Gonzalez, Recreation Manager.
Candidates may submit required materials in person at:
TVRPD District Office (view map/directions)
490 West D Street
Tehachapi, CA 93561
By email: email@example.com